For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is:
mophie Netherlands Coöperatie U.A.
Company number: 58739742
What information we collect
There are many ways that mophie obtains both personal information and non-personal information from you: (1) via signup on any mophie website(s); (2) from an online, email, fax, or telephone purchase; (3) from navigational information about where visitors go on our website; (4) when you enter a mophie sweepstakes/giveaway; (5) anytime you submit a business reply, product, or warranty card; (6) upon contacting customer service to request mophie communications; and (7) upon signing up at an event. If you contact our customer service department, you may need to provide us with additional information so that we can respond to your questions or concerns as completely and thoroughly as possible. For example, we may ask you for your name, birthdate, gender, e-mail address, mailing address, telephone number, credit card information, gift card number, or other personal information (“personally identifiable information”). Whether or not you provide this personally identifiable information is entirely up to you, but if you choose not to do so, in many cases we will not be able to provide you with our products or services or assist you with any issues or questions that you may have. You may visit our website anonymously without providing any personally identifiable information to us.
We also collect information about gift recipients so that we can fulfil the gift purchase. The information we collect about gift recipients is not used for marketing purposes. We also collect non-personal information, such as IP address, browser type and version, time zone setting, operating system and platform, and usage information.
How we use your information
We may use your information for a variety of purposes, including without limitation:
- To personalise your site experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to quickly process your transactions.
- To administer our site and for internal operations, including contests sweepstakes, promotions, surveys, troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical purposes or other site or application features.
- If you have opted-in to receive our electronic newsletter, we may send you periodic electronic notices. If you would no longer like to receive promotional e-mails or electronic notices from us, please refer to the "How can you opt-out, remove or modify information you have provided to us" section below. If you have not opted-in to receive electronic newsletters, you will not receive these electronic communications. Visitors who register or participate in other site or application features such as marketing programs and 'members-only' content will be given a choice whether they would like to be on our electronic communications list and receive electronic communications from us.
- For customer service purposes, such as following up on customers who have not checked out their abandoned shopping carts or to see if there was a problem with their use of the site.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- As part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
Sharing information with third parties
- We engage third parties to perform services in connection with the operation of our business. Examples of these services include payment processing and authorization, fraud protection and credit risk reduction, product customisation, order fulfilment and shipping, marketing and promotional material distribution, website evaluation, data analysis and, where applicable, data cleansing. We may need to share personal information with these third parties so that they can perform these services, however, we limit the personal information that we give to them and authorise them to use this information only for the purpose of performing those services.
- In proceeding with your online credit card order, you agree that both your name and address and those of the delivery name and address (if different) will be checked using third parties. If you are providing a delivery name and address which is not your own you must have that person’s permission to give us their personal information and for us to use it for the purposes specified. By providing it you are saying you have their permission.
- We share aggregated demographic information about our user base with our agents, including agencies or third party vendors so that they can provide marketing analysis and consult on advertising strategies. This information does not identify individual users. We also may share non-personal information, such as the number of users who visited the website during a specific time period or who purchased a specific product through the website, with our marketing partners, advertisers and others from time to time. This information generally is shared in an aggregated form.
- We may release personally identifiable information if we believe in good faith that: (1) the law or legal process requires it; or (2) if we have received a valid administrative request from a law enforcement agency.
- As with any business, it is possible that as our business develops, we might go through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, sale of all or a portion of our assets or buying online stores or other assets. In such transactions, information about customers will likely be transferred. You will be notified via a prominent notice on our site for thirty (30) days of any such change in ownership or control of your personally identifiable information. You will be deemed to have consented to the transfer of your personally identifiable information to any such successor entity unless you notify us via email to the contrary within the 30-day period.
Your personal data will be retained for as long as required for the above purposes or in so far as such is necessary for compliance with statutory obligations.
How we protect your information
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personally identifiable information. Your personally identifiable information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. When you place orders or access your personally identifiable information, we offer the use of a secure server. All sensitive/credit information you supply is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. We do not store any credit card or payment information.
While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personally identifiable information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or receive from us. You can help protect your information by creating a strong password to access your online account and by accessing your account only through a personal computer or device, as opposed to public computers or means.
How we use "cookies"
A cookie is a small removable data file that is stored by your web browser on your computer. Cookies are only used by mophie to allow you to use mophie’s web site in the most efficient manner. Cookies allow you to place an order on our website and allow us to enhance and personalise your online surfing and shopping experience. For example:
- Functionality cookies – These are used to recognise you when you return to our website
- Analytical/performance cookies – These estimate our audience size and analyse visitor behaviour.
- Targeting cookies – these store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site and to provide you with offers that are targeted at your individual interests.
You can find more information about the main cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Please visit All About Cookies where you can find comprehensive information on cookie management and blocking for a wide variety of browsers. Please note, however, that by deleting our cookies or disabling future cookies you may not be able to access certain areas or features of our website.
We also work with other companies who use tracking technologies, including web beacons, to serve ads on our behalf across the internet. These companies may collect non-personally identifiable information about your visit to our website about your interaction with our communications, including advertising and e-mails. If you object to web beacons, we recommend that you follow the instructions for deleting existing cookies and disabling future cookies. We will still know how many of our electronic communications are opened and we will automatically receive your IP address, a unique identifier for your computer or other access device but we will not identify you as an individual.
Some of our cookies may persist for 2 years.
Whether we disclose the information we collect to outside parties
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information unless we provide you with advance notice or you direct us to share such information, such as with social networking sites or other third party sites or platforms, except as described below. The term "outside parties" does not include affiliates of mophie. It also does not include website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our websites and applications, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. Such information may also be used or transferred as a business asset as part of any merger, acquisition, or sale of company assets, or in the unlikely event of insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership.
We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others' rights, property, or safety. Please note that once we share your personal information with another company, the information becomes subject to the other company’s privacy practices. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction (including credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you).
We may share non-personal information or information aggregated in a form that does not directly identify you for marketing, advertising or other uses, including conducting market or traffic flow analysis, and producing or facilitating production by others of business and marketing reports to share with third parties.
How to opt-out, remove or modify information provided to us
To modify your e-mail subscriptions or notifications, please let us know by modifying your preferences in the "My Account" section. Please note that due to email production schedules you may receive any emails or electronic notices already in production. To delete all of your online account information from our database, sign into the "My Account" section of our site and remove your shipping addresses, billing addresses & payment information. Please note that we may maintain information about an individual sales transaction in order to service that transaction and for record keeping.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at http://uk.mophie.com/cs or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 (ten pounds sterling) to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Do not track notice
mophie does not track its website users over time and across third party websites or online services, and, therefore, does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. However, some third party sites, software or mobile apps do keep track of your browsing activities when they serve you content, which enables them to tailor what they present to you. If you are visiting such sites, you should set your browser settings so that third parties (particularly advertisers) know that you do not want to be tracked. mophie does not knowingly permit third parties to collect any personal information from our site unless you directly provide it to us and we provide it to them with your consent.
Third party links
In an attempt to provide you with increased value, we may include third party links on our site or through our applications. These third party linked sites and applications have separate and independent privacy or cookie policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites and applications. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our sites and applications and welcome any feedback about these linked sites and applications (including if a specific link or application does not work).
If you are under 14, you should surf mophie.com only with involvement of a parent or guardian. Although mophie does not specifically direct its website, catalogs, or e-mails to children, we strive to provide children with as much customer service as possible without violating their privacy rights. For their protection, mophie asks that anyone under 14 years of age not attempt to register with mophie or otherwise provide us with any personally identifiable information without the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
Questions and feedback
Terms and conditions
This policy was last updated on February 26, 2015.